♬ “I’m in a hurry to get things done,
Oh I rush and rush until life’s no fun…” ♬
(Alabama, “I’m in a hurry to get things done”)
Do those song lyrics resonate with you? Are you always trying to do as much as you can in the shortest time possible? That seems to be a common trend nowadays. Busyness is an accomplishment and being overscheduled is a badge of honor.
What I’d like to ask you to consider is, why? Why are we rushing from one activity to the next with no pause to breathe in between? Why are we ignoring our natural rhythms in favor of pushing ourselves harder and harder? What are we gaining from this frenzied pace of life?
Slowing down can really change your life! Forcing ourselves to keep pace with a hectic and fast paced lifestyle can mean that we miss making genuine connections, appreciating the small things, and focusing on what we are doing.
It can be tough to slow down when we are used to living the type of life that society has deemed necessary, but the benefits are real!
Some ways you may be able to incorporate slowing down in your own life are to:
- Disconnect! If the outside world can’t reach you, you can’t be interrupted or stressed out by messages. Try leaving your electronic device at home, or setting limits on how often you use it or when you check your messages.
- Do one task at a time. I know our world makes it seem like we should be multitasking at all times, but try setting that notion aside and really focusing on the task at hand without trying to juggle several tasks at once.
- Presence is the present! Give yourself (and those around you!) the gift of being fully present. This can take a little practice, but when you find your mind wandering, bring it back to the present moment and focus on what is going on in your life right now.
- Less is more! When you’re trying to slow down in your life, doing less is key! If you have less to do, you can focus on what is most important to you.
- Breathe! This simple yet effective piece of advice teaches you to be more mindful by repeatedly returning your focus to your breath. This allows your mind to slow down and find a calmer pace.
Slowing down might be counterintuitive, but it truly is a great life practice to implement. Whenever you’re feeling overwhelmed or feel like life is moving at a breakneck pace, try implementing some of these tips!
It can take time and practice to get used to not being busy, but slowing down can increase your happiness and enjoyment of life!
Share your favorite ways to slow down with me. I’m looking forward to hearing about them!
If you would like to learn how to slow down and learn more about how life coaching can help you, schedule your FREE Breakthrough Coaching Call with Lori HERE .